The NSA recognises that:
- The welfare of children and adults at risk is paramount (Children Act, 1989, Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act, 2006, Care Act 2014).
- All children and adults regardless of age, gender, racial heritage, sexual orientation or identity, religious belief, have a right to equal protection from all types of harm and abuse.
- Some children are additionally vulnerable because of previous experiences, level of dependency, communication needs and other issues.
- Working in partnership with community services, children, young people, their parents, carers and agencies is essential in promoting welfare.
We seek to keep children and adults safe by:
- Valuing, listening to and respecting children/young people and adults.
- Adhering to safeguarding and child protection practices through procedures and codes of conduct for staff and volunteers.
- Monitoring, implementing and adhering to our policies and procedures.
- Providing effective management and training of staff/volunteers as appropriate, including appointing a Designated Safeguarding Lead.
- Recruiting staff and volunteers safely, ensuring all necessary checks are made
- Recording and storing information professionally.
- Using NSA safeguarding procedures to share information with relevant agencies who need to know.
- Creating and maintaining an anti-bullying environment, ensuring that we have a harassment policy and procedure to help us deal effectively with any bullying issues that arise.
- Ensuring we adhere to health and safety law and regulatory guidance to provide a safe environment.
The NSA has a robust Safeguarding Children and Adults at Risk policy and procedure. Trustees, employees and volunteers of the charity demonstrate competency in this document alongside a secure knowledge of the following policies and procedures:
- Code of Conduct for Working with Children, Young People and Adults
- Health & Safety (including remote and lone working)
- Bullying & Harassment
- Social Media Risk Assessment Policy and Guidelines
- Recruitment and Volunteer Policies